Tuesday, 31 January 2017

the concept of a gender core

If Felix Conrad is correct and there is such a thing as a core gender it would help to explain a lot. This core would be independent of chromosomes, hormones and genitalia at birth. It would help explain why very young children gravitate towards gender behaviour before being influenced by external forces.

What typically then happens is that they are dissuaded from behaving in opposite ways to expectation by well-meaning parents.

This governing core would be instinctive, need not be 100% male or female but then could be retrained via social conditioning. By means of embarrassment and ridicule you could get the child to suppress and move away from their core gender. This would also mean that Harry Benjamin could have been correct in assuming predetermination at birth.

What then would happen is that by puberty sexual orientation would begin to also play a role with gynephilics suppressing due to the inconsistency between identity and sexual attraction and androphilics aligning; thus helping to explain early onset versus late onset.

I believe strongly in such an idea and I was one of those children who gravitated naturally towards girl things and play until told to stop. The internalized shame was so strong it damaged my psyche for many years to come.

It would be hard to prove the existence of a gender core since its creation could involve a series of events tied to biological predisposition and even fortified via family situation, birth order and dynamics.

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for solid proof but the concept certainly makes sense.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with the "core gender" concept, perhaps also talked about as "true gender." I also gravitated to wanting to do girl things when quite young (preschool), played with them in kindergarten, but learned that it was something to be ashamed of so I internalized it into my fantasies, particularly at bed time.

    I was always interested in females sexually and never males, although I experimented with it once. So I guess I would have been a lesbian had I been born female. I was definitely aroused by fantasies of being feminized, wearing clothes, and all - which added to my shame as I felt I was consumed by a perverted fetish. Now I think the erotic feelings arose from the feelings of joy and freedom to be what I am, which is something I was denied in real life.

    Last, I was asked if I feel now that I am a woman "inside." I don't really know of course, but lately I do feel I am female inside. I guess at my age that's the same thing but nonetheless describing it as female seems more accurate. One indicator to me is that as I've been coming out recently to male friends I've been disappointed that they haven't had more interest in talking about my feelings, diving deeper into what it is to be transgender. This seems like it would be such an interesting topic, but not for them. I've wondered if a reason I like talking about my feelings is that I am in fact female inside and, for them as men, it's just not important or perhaps they don't feel comfortable talking about feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you experienced much the same things as everyone else did Emma and mistook your feelings for strictly fetish because that aspect was included in the mix by puberty. it took me a while to sort all this out so you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete