Thursday, 16 February 2017

finding contentment where we are now

We are rarely 100% satisfied of where we are in life.

There is always someone else who seems to have it better than us. They have more money, a nicer and more attractive spouse or a bigger house. It might just be the natural state of human affairs.

As I have aged I realize more and more that whatever state your life is in you will find something that you think you want. When you end up getting it the results can sometimes be less exciting than you expected.

We know money doesn’t do it because once you get past the basics that a person needs to survive all the studies show that the level of happiness does not increase. In fact it could be argued that having a lot of wealth adds complexity to your life in terms of worry about how to grow it or spend it wisely as investing firms, family members and friends vie for your attention.

It might just be that the best approach to this life is to find joy exactly where you are at every junction for there is beauty there. If you are alone you have more freedom and can reflect on your life and improve yourself. When you are accompanied you can draw from your partner’s wisdom and bask in their company and friendship. But many people want to get out of their relationship as fast as others want a new one thus precipitating a process that should be more organic.

I tell myself this more and more and am using this junction in my life to remake myself and build on what I have achieved so far. I have come a long way and learnt much but still have things to correct.

There is little point in trying to be somewhere else because where I am now has a purpose.


3 comments: