Skip to main content

I finally learn a lesson

I don’t understand people sometimes.

I was working with a singer for the last couple of years and suddenly out the blue he sends me an email warning me to remove all of his vocals from my compositions. He made it sound very legal although I knew he didn’t have the financial backing to follow up. Apparently his impetus was that he had decided on his own to make compact disc copies for sale which were eventually not to his liking and when I declined to buy them from him he decided to quit unless I paid him $1,000 dollars.

We had stated from the outset that this was not a commercial project (although nothing was signed legally) and any proceeds would be divided 50/50 even though I was doing most of the work in composing, arranging and recording my own songs. Hence I decided to grant his request and proceeded to remove his vocals rather than succumb to extortion.

Not more than 3 days later he had a change of heart and decided he wanted back in except that I know better and the type of person who does this sort of thing will do it again. I did not respond to his email.

This is the third time this has happened to me with a singer. The first time it was someone from my church who suddenly heard the quality of the work I was doing and wanted payment. The second time was an ex-professional musician who wanted to take my recordings away and have them remastered because he couldn’t have his voice handled by just anyone.

Some people in this world aren’t principled and I have made the mistake of assuming that they are honorable and stand by their word. I was wrong.

I would like to think that I have never deliberately turned the tables on anyone in my life although I am not perfect and the unfortunate lesson I have had to draw from this is that I need to have a higher level of mistrust of people’s intentions and their loyalty.

Comments

  1. In business, people have the opportunity to reveal their true nature with the excuse that "it's just business." No, integrity either exists in you or it does not. As you learned, the best thing to do is simply avoid people like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so right in this Ally. I am a hard nut to crack...

      Delete
  2. I'd suggest that it's impossible to avoid people "like this." How can you possibly know? You've tried several times. Instead, you do need to have a signed agreement, always. The main reason we need these in relationships (business and otherwise) is that memories are short and we need to document the agreed rules of engagement as well as what to do when disputes and break ups occur.

    It's too bad, especially for what would otherwise just be a fun and gratifying activity, but with performers we also add ego, a powerful emotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes and I know you are going through what must be a trying time for you Emma. I hope things are going to be amicable when it comes to financial divisions...

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your kind thoughts Joanna. At the moment we're doing pretty well, actually. I'm sure there will be more ups and downs but that's life. I'm looking forward to further breaking out of my mold. Liftoff is currently scheduled for April 15th. "T minus 5 weeks and counting!"

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…