Skip to main content

caveat emptor

I have never been freer from the desire to form part of a couple than I am today.

I attribute this feeling to the fatigue and disenchantment of having experienced relationships that didn’t work but also from coming closest to being the person I should have always been all along and now don't want to tamper with.

I don’t envy the partners of older transgender people. We who have taken so long to come to terms can compare our progress to a patiently moving snail. We lurch along to finally come to a resting point that often surprises the partner who justifiably can claim false advertising, but even sometimes ourselves who were certain that place was elsewhere on the spectrum.

In my case being transgender wasn’t really what ended each relationship but not being able to be fully myself complicated matters by adding a layer of stress that I didn’t need and amounted to me feeling like an important part of who I was need not manifest itself. In other words, I felt I needed to make sure it stayed compartmentalized and out of view.

This is not to assign blame as much as to point out the reality that if the partner is in any way uncomfortable with your identity, you will feel this discomfort at times in a very palpable way. But now I am truly at ease with a way of living that I won't roll back for anyone because one doesn't negotiate an identity.

So my advice to potential partners would be "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) and to the transgender person I would say “know thyself” as soon as possible so you can be your true self right from the start. In that regard, I am so glad for today's youth for they will be able to tackle their dysphoria head on much earlier in life and avoid this type of scenario.

I have now been writing this blog for almost 5 years and I have come a long way since then. Hopefully I will have many years still to go living as myself.


Comments

  1. My point of view is that more than most going into a new loving relationship, we (the transgendered) have a responsibility to be totally open about this very complex aspect of our lives. We might not even be able to explain it perfectly, but we mustn't ever try to minimize it for them. Being honest might be the hardest way to start a relationship; it might chase them away completely - so be it. Beginning a new relationship based upon a lie (or an omission) is many times worse.
    I will say it has worked for me.
    It makes me happy to read you are free from the desire to couple, but never say never about finding love Joanna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks as usual for the words of wisdom Halle and yes I agree with you. I am not feeling hopelessness but just a sense of detachment from wanting and yes I will remain open.....

      Delete
    2. I fully agree. 20+ years ago while my fiancé (soon to be ex-wife) and I were dating I told her about my crossdressing. She was upset and I agreed to throw the clothes away and never do that again. I honestly tried but utterly failed. I swear I won't do that again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…