Skip to main content

call me a cynic

The Canadian Senate was presented with a proposed bill C-16 which would update the Canadian Human Rights act to include the terms "gender identity" and "gender expression"

After the hearing, Marni Panas who was there testifying before a committee in order to defend these changes said this:

"That's the underlying bias that really perpetuates this debate, that transgender women aren't truly women. That fact is I'm real," she said. "Let me assure you, somebody doesn't come out as a transgender woman for privilege. It comes at a great cost. I've lost my parents. I'm going through a divorce."

Marni had thus far managed to keep her marriage and family together. Well now it appears that this is about to change and it is not so surprising to me for it is just not an obvious thing for a genetic woman to accept and certainly less so when the transgender partner actually transitions. I know of no marriages where the trans person has undergone a transition and the woman is truly okay with that outcome. I am not saying they don’t exist mind you just that I do not know of any.

So as disappointing as that must be for Marni she should not be surprised given she was bucking the statistics. At least I hope she continues to have a working relationship with her former spouse so that they can cooperate in raising their son.

Her great work for the transgender community may blossom even more now and her wife will hopefully have a chance at life with a cisgender man.

I have come to that point where being truly myself is more important than trying to be someone I am not in order to fit someone into my life. Perhaps this will be a positive thing for Marni in the long run.

So call me a cynic but I wasn't that surprised with the outcome.


Marni Panas

Comments

  1. Call me a cynic, but I find the notion that marriages must survive anything a tad pathological. As Dan Savage opined, there is something wrong with a culture whose only understanding of a successful relationship as one in which one of the partners does at the end.

    I was I a relationship (post transition) for 7 years. People kept saying, "Gosh, I'm sorry. That's a long time for things not to work out." Curious. What not work out? I gave love. I received love. I am a better person for having that relationship. My ex partner will always be a part of me, and I treasure that.

    I'm not saying I wasn't sad, or that it was easy to decide we needed to separate. I was devastated, and cling to the relationship probably longer than I should have. But I am no longer in it, and that's okay. I grieved appropriately, and look back with fondness.

    If couples want to give a marriage a shot as one partner transitions sex or gender, by all means! It's just that it's okay - and I mean really okay - for either partner to say it's not going to work, and to move on. That does not diminish the reality or the nature of the love that brought the couple together in the first place. In fact, that love might be one of the reasons one partner was able to come to terms with and come out about their gender issues. If that's the case, consider the relationship a success of its own kind.

    Everyone transitions somehow. Everything ends, even our lives. Our relationships should be judged by how we helped one another experience love, how we helped one another grow.

    Whether Marni finds a man, a woman, a non-binary person, or nobody, she has herself. I wish her happiness in whatever form it comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get the more agree with your viewpoint. We have life experiences and they help form us whether positive or negative. The gift of yourself is the biggest gift you can receive and sometimes that requires growth through some pain.

      I like the way you think Caryn...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…

understanding the erotic component

I have written about crossed wires before in two separate posts. The idea is that one cannot pass through puberty and the development of sexual feelings for females and not have your pre-existing gender dysphoria be impacted through your psychosexual development. The hormone responsible for your libido is testosterone which is present in much stronger concentration in males and is why gynephilics are most likely to experience erotic overtones as the conflict between romantic external feelings and their pull towards the feminine become permanently intertwined.

Because I came from a deeply religious family where sex was not discussed much at all, I grew up with little access to information and was very much ignorant of matters relating to the subject. With no firsthand experience in intercourse until I married I was then faced with the reality that my ability to perform sexually had been deeply impacted by my dysphoric feelings. This began years of turmoil and self-deprecating thoughts …