Skip to main content

a private matter

So Caitlyn Jenner has had gender reassignment surgery. Somehow she still looks the same and whether this occurred or not it changes nothing for the rest of us. Yet the speculation kept the tabloid media machine humming.

Has our opinion of her now changed as a consequence?

This interest in genitalia is coming from a curious public that barely comprehends what being transgender is all about because they have never questioned their own identity. It makes sense that it should reside between the ears and as transgender woman Julia Serano states:

“These are problems trans people often have to deal with in our day to day lives, if they haven’t had surgery, there’s something wrong with them.”

To which she adds:

“The most important factor that affects someone’s experience of gender is whether people perceive us as male or female and how they treat us and outside of the bedroom, it is very rare that a person’s genitals come into those split-second judgments one makes countless times a day”

It took me years to understand this distinction because as part of my refusal to accept myself I had bought into the idea that gender identity is only about physical sex. Those conservatives who argue along biological lines are suddenly stumped when the issue of intersex people come up who themselves must decide where they reside on the gender spectrum. The only possible answer is that this identification resides in the mind.

The fact is that transgender people know they are different from a very young age; long before any decisions about how to proceed are made.

Among the estimated 0.6% of the world that is transgender, it is a minority who choose to have gender reassignment. It is a private decision which should be respected and is as unique as each individual.

As part of the acceptance process of welcoming transgender people into society should be the idea that what their genitals look like is entirely a private matter.



Comments

  1. "The most important factor that affects someone's experience of gender is whether people perceive us as male or female, and how they treat us, and outside the bedroom, it is very rare that a person's genitals come into those split second judgments one makes countless times a day."

    I gotta hand it to Ms. Serano. I've always found her quite clever. But I think she's missing something.

    It's just not true that genitals "do not come into those split-second judgments." They are part and parcel of those split-second judgments in our culture. It is part of what people presume upon making those judgments, and to a certain extent, what we presume people are *communicating* about themselves. Perhaps as we evolved we started covering ourselves for various purposes, and we needed a way to communicate what was no longer visibly obvious?

    And as trans people, we are throwing a wrench into the gears of that communication. It startles even the most friendly potential allies as they try to understand us, and I do not begrudge them honest curiosity.

    The truth in Ms. Serano's observation is that even if people incorrectly infer how a person's body is shaped, they have not incorrectly perceived that *person.* We are communicating *who* we are, and we are not lying.

    Certainly, I think it's appropriate for any individual to say they would prefer the world not to have a conversation about the precise configuration of their genitals. (This seems strikingly awkward for trans and cis folk alike.) But if a celebrity would like to further the conversation by sharing their decision to have or not to have genital surgery, I think that's good.

    Though I would personally prefer that celebrity not be our community's village idiot. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touche on Caitlyn Jenner and as she also carries that awful Kardashian clan around like a yolk it doesn't help her cause. I would have preferred a better spokesperson and yet she shows us we are just as flawed as anyone else.

      I remember when Jennifer Boylsn first came out I didn't like her and still don't for different reasons. There's something of a haughty air that disturbs me. Oh well....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…