Skip to main content

few things are as mysterious

My ideas on couple hood have firmed up with age and the benefit of hindsight.

We create patterns for ourselves which are modelled after a personal style branded by childhood baggage which in turn affects our attachment style. What we expect of our partner and of ourselves is a unique formula that not even we comprehend because that would require the kind of introspection that could lead to findings we might not like.

Some of us are motivated by abandonment issues or through the influence of invasive parents. That colors the kinds of demands we make on the person we are with and not always by deliberate intent but by an almost automated subconscious approach we can falsely attribute to our personality instead of on flaws we can attempt to correct.

If only one person does the heavy lifting to work out their modus operandi there will be a shortfall since it requires equal engagement to make for a healthy couple. I now see the trials and tribulations of the marriages and relationships around me with recognition.

There is no logic involved here but only the fragile psychology of two wounded individuals trying to understand what makes the other tick. Navigating those waters can be challenging and sometimes what is said is as bad as what is not.

A friend of mine recently saw his girlfriend complain about the imbalance of texting between them which she saw as a gauge of ill health in their relationship. He in turn saw no such thing and chalked it up to being very busy during the day and I believed him as he explained all to me but that mattered less than what she believed. Needless to say, the ruckus it created was disproportionate to the merit of the argument.

Our human relationships are fragile entities and they sometimes teeter on the brink before they are rescued while other times they topple over with a tremendous thud.

In the end I believe that few things in this life are as mysterious.


Comments

  1. "What we expect of our partner and of ourselves is a unique formula that not even we comprehend because that would require the kind of introspection that could lead to findings we might not like."

    On benefit of being trans is that such introspection is forced upon you. From my experience, I have gained the wisdom not to be afraid of what I might find. And I have found a lot I did not like, but that's better in my experience and opinion than letting such dark matters unconsciously control me.

    Not that I'm great at relationships. But it has made it easier to confront problems directly, and acknowledge that things are not functioning without placing blame on my partner. (Or myself.). It's also made it much easier to be up front at the beginning of a potential relationship to communicate my baggage, irrationalities and annoying quirks.

    I'm entering my mid 40s. I hardly have life's code cracked. But I'm not afraid to look into myself, and explore my realm of mind, whatever is lurking there. Whether I find a life long partner or not, I have me, and I'm always excited to find out what comes next.

    And I'm glad you're still writing regularly, Joanna. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as I am glad for your very perceptive commentary to my posts :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the pseudoscience behind gender dysphoria

The real science as to what causes gender dysphoria still awaits.

Harry Benjamin was on to something except he didn’t have the scientific evidence to back up his suspicions hence, like a true scientist, he negated to draw conclusions. His hunch, based on treating so many patients over his lifetime, was that one is born with a predisposition to be gender dysphoric.

However, with inconclusive brain scans and no DNA marker (as of yet) we are left with believing the word of people who need help and only want to lead happy and productive lives.

The best we have been able to muster since Benjamin's death in 1986 was to amass statistics on who gets a boner imagining themselves as a woman which is in equal parts pathetic and disappointing. For this is not really science at all but is instead playing with interview data that doesn't point to anything definitive or conclusive. I have dealt with this problem at great length in my blog.

The whole thing started with Kurt Freund's obses…

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…

understanding the erotic component

I have written about crossed wires before in two separate posts. The idea is that one cannot pass through puberty and the development of sexual feelings for females and not have your pre-existing gender dysphoria be impacted through your psychosexual development. The hormone responsible for your libido is testosterone which is present in much stronger concentration in males and is why gynephilics are most likely to experience erotic overtones as the conflict between romantic external feelings and their pull towards the feminine become permanently intertwined.

Because I came from a deeply religious family where sex was not discussed much at all, I grew up with little access to information and was very much ignorant of matters relating to the subject. With no firsthand experience in intercourse until I married I was then faced with the reality that my ability to perform sexually had been deeply impacted by my dysphoric feelings. This began years of turmoil and self-deprecating thoughts …