Skip to main content

too old to suffer fools gladly

Most people are lovely but it is always good to get a little reminder about passing. Not every transgender person passes and even those who have been on hormones for years and have had surgery do not always do so successfully all the time.

The point is that passing is not your goal but just being happy in your skin is.

So when I when to buy a fan for my place I wasn’t expecting to deal with an overly curious and slightly smug person but by now I have enough confidence that I do not suffer fools gladly. That same day I had a lovely older couple ask me how I got my wonderful height and that I was an attractive lady. This salesman at the fan place had another idea.

He thought it was polite to ask things in an offensive way. So he said:

“So is it okay to ask you a question?”

I said sure expecting something reasonable like I usually get.

“Are you a transgender or a transvestite?”

I was a little gob smacked because the question was so direct and so smugly stated. It immediately rubbed me the wrong way and I asked him why he thought this is something he should know so I decided to play the biological woman insulted at being labeled transgender and proceeded to tell him that one does not ask questions in this manner and that he was being rude. I could also have asked him if he had always been as fat as he was all his life which I’m sure he wouldn’t have liked.

I paid for my fan and told the young man who had helped me initially that I would be back for my purchase once I had moved my car closer to the entrance.

Needless to say by the time I was back the older salesman had moved further away from the entrance and was by this time looking at his phone and not looking up but I said loudly to the young man:

“You are like my children’s generation polite and courteous not like the older and ruder one”

The young man said: “You think so?” rather self satisfied.

"Yes absolutely" I responded

I got my message across loud and clear and the young fellow smiled very politely at me as I left the store. The older one did not look up from his phone but I could tell he got the message.

I am too old to put up with idiots.


Comments

  1. I get it. He had no right to disturb you and his rudeness was manifest. You were within your rights to respond the way you did. I'm sorry you had to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its actually good practice for me so it doesn't bother me all that much. I just find that some people just have a lot of nerve and should be put in their place from time to time..

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, Mr. Salesman, if you stuck an appendage into a running fan, would you be a eunuch, or still just stupid? Or, to put it as politely as he deserves, my answer would be: I'm sorry, but I can't give an intelligent answer to a stupid question.

    One of my favorite comebacks, after being asked if I "used to be a man" was when I answered with: When I was pretending to be a man, I was twice the man that you are.....and now I am twice the woman you could handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those are better comebacks than I had that day but good ones!

      Delete
    2. I've developed my talent for smart ass comebacks. With thousands of hours on bandstands, quite a number of hecklers are inevitable. Since I've been performing as my authentic self (hence, my name, "Fabulous Connie Dee"), it is the between-set breaks that can be more dangerous, though.

      Another one that I'm proud to have thought up with perfect timing was back when Caitlyn Jenner was all over the news, but hadn't officially come out yet. An older man in the grocery store asked me if I was like "that Bruce Jenner guy." I responded, immediately, with: Well, I really don't like to talk about my gold medal! I don't know if he ever really got it, but a lady standing close by got a good laugh. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…